Did you know that the majority of our menu is served gluten free, or can be made gf?
We’ve been told that our GF battered haddock and thick-cut chips and our GF sticky toffee pudding (pictured!) are some of the best people have ever tasted. With over 17 years of experience in serving gluten free, locally sourced and delicious dishes, we’re incredibly proud of our menu’s fuss-free flexibility.
We know how tough it can be to eat out if you have specific dietary requirements – many people feel awkward as if they’re making a fuss, unsure that their requirement has actually been understood and communicated correctly or just that there isn’t much choice left on the menu.
For nearly 18 years we have served a predominantly gluten free menu anyway (that means our team know what they’re doing!) but over the last few years we have introduced a few new items that have transformed our guests experiences (just have a look at some feedback below!).
These are just a few of the reasons we’re trusted by many people to overcome those common problems:
- We have a completely separate fryer for all gluten free requests (even chips!) to do everything we can to reduce risks of cross contamination
- We use gluten-free breadcrumbs to coat our fishcakes
- We have delicious gluten-free bread in stock
- We serve gluten-free battered haddock and chips! Many of our gluten-free customers haven’t tasted proper fish & chips for years – it’s a treat to see their faces when they realise it’s possible again!
- We can easily adapt the menu to suit all requirements (our chefs are innovative & accommodating)
- We avoid using flour to thicken sauces or coat fish wherever possible and will always be able to provide a gluten-free version if required
- We stock gluten-free crackers for cheese
- Our dessert menu is almost completely gluten-free! Including honey & thyme panna cotta, dark chocolate brownie & (our favourite) sticky toffee pudding!
What our customers say..
These are all independent reviews taken from Tripadvisor
- “I am a Coeliac and this usually means problems, at best a greatly reduced choice of menu. However on stepping inside to enquire if they could at least feed me, I was confidently assured that they would be able to supply anything on the menu gluten free. What a challenge! Okay as a starter King prawns in batter – “no problem sir we will make a gluten free batter”. So I thought lets really make it hard – how about traditional fish and chips? Something I had not enjoyed for years. Again no problem, gluten free batter and the assurance that the chips would be cooked in fresh oil. The service was first class.” JohnM, June 16
- “Staff are wonderful… They were also very very helpful with my lactose free needs, checked requirements with the kitchen, and staff even cooked my food differently so that I could enjoy the meal that I wanted, instead of having to settle for an alternative. Thank you so much, I’ve not stopped recommending you since!” 795Samantha1991, Aug16
- “A small sweet restaurant with a nice ambient atmosphere, I ordered the tuna steak which was perfectly cooked and they also accommodated my dietary requirements as I have to be careful I don’t have too much wheat, dairy, onions or garlic. ” FrancescaG Sep16
In the Press
Winner of “Gold” in the restaurants category of the 2016 FreeFrom Eating Out Awards
“Highly Commended” in the Gluten Free category of the 2016 Bristol Good Food Awards